Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Grocery












Well, it's my first day, so I had errands to run to get set up. This morning I went to the 100 Yen store (100 Yen=1 dollar) and the computer store, and this afternoon I hit the grocery, which while perplexing, it was not as disorienting as I might have thought. This was a good time for me, as I love grocery stores. I had a history prof in undergrad who called them the 'museum of food,' as the selection is so big, and items are displayed in such a nice fashion. Perhaps it's the comprehensive catalog-like organization that attracts me so much, or the cultural insight (America, lots of processed food, Jamaica, jerk spice section, Cambodian market, fish still flopping, etc.). Anyway, I was quite pleased to see the tofu section (middle picture) which was HUGE, and overwhelmed by the rice aisle (right)- which rice to buy?? How much rice can I eat in one summer? The fish section was also large, though I didn't know many of the species, and the produce selection seems ample. The pickled foods section, as I was warned, was very large, who knew there were so many things to pickle? I'll try and get a photo of that next time. :)

No comments: