Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Kyoto Sunday



On Sunday I started my day at Sanjusangendo, a 13th century temple. The 'sanjusan' (the number 33) refers to the 33 bays of the building, which houses 1,000 sculptures of Kannon, a popular bodhisattva. Each sculpture is close to life size, and at the center is a large Kannon (1,001). In the photo below the sculptures are visible in the background, and in the exterior shot only half of the building is visible. There are also many other guardian sculptures housed at the temple. It was quite a treat to visit!

Across the street from the temple is the Kyoto National Museum, where I was able to see the vast permanent collection, as well as a special exhibition celebrating the 110th year of the museum.




After the museum I headed to Uji, about half an hour outside of Kyoto. Here I visited the Byodoin, and its famous Hoodo, or phoenix hall, dating from 1053. This structure also houses a very wonderful Amida Buddha sculpture, half of which (the base and mandorla) was out for conservation- I was quite pleased to find that the main image was just returned though! So I was able to see a freshly treated image in a beautiful, if rainy setting. After purchasing some tea, which Uji is known for, and visiting the Byodoin treasure hall (museum) I headed back home via Shinkansen and regular train. :)

No comments: