Monday, July 06, 2009

Independence Day

I am now in my third week of class at IUC, and I am definitely being kept busy. Each day I have four hours of class and at least five hours of homework, if not more, not to mention the additional studying and reviewing that I put in when I have the extra time. Basically it's all I am doing, and I love it! For now I just wanted to mark the Independence Day holiday in some way, and to post this great someecard. Living abroad I often forget what season it is, as the usual markers are absent. For example in early spring I didn't hear anyone mowing their lawn (as there are no lawns here), and it really threw me. This month there are Rose of Sharon blooming across the street from my apartment, but beyond that I might forget that it was July, as there aren't obnoxious displays of American-themed merchandise at every store and beyond Facebook I don't hear the same usual summer narrative of barbeques, afternoons at the pool, and road trips. Of course there are signifiers of summer in Japan, such as seasonal food, summer sale season, and the upcoming fireworks festivals, but I'm not as tuned into them as in my own country. Anyway, I need to get back to studying, but I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

Independence Day reminds me how fortunate we are to live in a country that eschews violent street protests in favor of snarky blog commentary

No comments: