Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Calligraphy 書道

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Last week was the first day of the optional calligraphy class at IUC. We meet once a week for an hour and fourty-five minutes in the afternoon and receive instruction in traditional Japanese calligraphy from a lovely older woman. In our first week we worked on 土 (tsuchi, earth) and 月(tsuki, moon). Today we started into 火(hi, fire). Categorize this under things that are way harder than they look. I finally mastered the corner at the top right and hook at the bottom right of 月, for which I received my teachers approval (see the circular mark on the above photo), and 土 wasn't too tough, as it is just three straight lines. But 火! I have a ways to go on this one... the photo below shows my attempt in black, and my teacher's corrections in red, the red kanji at the left is her example. It's going to take a while before I can emulate her elegant brushstrokes, but each practice sheet gets me a little bit closer.... I'll keep posting about my progress as the coruse goes on. Ganbatte!
-

No comments: