Sunday, March 31, 2013

Coconut Cake

Growing up, I was not a big fan of Easter dinner. Things like ham or lamb or mint jello did not, and do not, appeal to me. I did, however, love my Aunt Janet's egg-shaped cupcakes that were a dessert tradition. Supposedly they were just yellow cake mix, but something about the egg shape made them really moist and tasty. I miss them since moving away (the cupcakes and the family!).

Fast forward to last year when I decided to bake a cake for Easter. Flipping through my favorite recipe book (the ever-amazing Martha Stewart Baking Book), I came upon a recipe for Coconut Cake. While the overly fussy book calls for actually making coconut flakes from scratch for the topping- as in cracking open a coconut with a hammer, which I did not do- the remainder of the recipe can be made mostly with things on hand, and finally fulfills my craving for those perfect Easter egg cupcakes. The cake is actually quite simple, and the coconut flavor, added by coconut milk and shredded coconut, is subtle, but perfect for early spring. The frosting is super smooth, and has a cool iridescent quality to it. I made the cake again this year and brought it for an early Easter dinner at my parents house, which I think now qualifies it as tradition.

Happy Easter!

 


No comments: