Friday, March 08, 2013

Gold

This week I taught the Kamakura period in my Japanese Art History course. It was still pretty chilly out, and the snow still remains on the ground, though it is beginning to melt. While all the fashion blogs and magazines are showing spring wear, it just isn't practical yet in this corner of the Midwest. Boots are still called for on many days. A favorite warm weather combination of mine is a dark grey cashmere sweater with a black velvet blazer over dark jeans and black boots. It's warm, comfy, and practical, but still great to wear to work. The gold polish that matches is a favorite of mine from this winter. Perhaps the thing that made my work week was teaching about Sanjusangendo- a Kyoto temple from the 12th and 13th centuries- which contains 1,001 sculptures of the bodhisattva Kannon. The sculptures are covered in gold, which made for a fun comparison (in my mind) to my gold-coated nails.  

No comments: