Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Earthquake 地震


This morning as I was talking with the fam on Skype, an earthquake hit. I don't think I will ever get used to this. Today's was a 3 or 4 on the JMA scale, which measures the shaking at any given location, rather than the energy released at the epicenter (like the Richter scale). It was so bizarre to be talking with Joe in KC, as the lamp swayed behind me, and my entire apartment felt like it was a boat on the water. Later today at work I was speaking with a co-worker about the earthquake, and he didn't really give it much thought. He did, however mention how nerve wracking he found this week's Saitama tornado to be, as such weather events are quite rare here. To me, as a Midwesterner, a tornado isn't something to fret about too much, proving that weather events are all relative to one's experience.

No comments: