Thursday, October 10, 2013

Halloween Streetcar


I spent most of today working on research at the Diet Library. As per usual, it was exhausting and rewarding work, but I did have a few moments of unexpected joy in my day. The first one was while sifting through magazines from the 1910s and 20s, searching for images, when I came across a recipe for a Mt. Fuji jello mold and landscape of fruit circa 1924. Admittedly, it was challenging to not laugh out loud at the image, and in retrospect I regret not spending the extra 10 yen to print it out for posterity. It will just have to live on in my memory and in the library collections. My second moment was boarding the street car on my way home. To my surprise, it was decorated for Halloween! Being 7 p.m., it was a bit crowded and tough to get a good photo, but you get the idea from the above cell phone snapshot. It seems that select street cars are decorated for the month of October. Both moments were a nice reminder to take delight in the small things, and to find joy in unexpected places.

No comments: