Monday, October 21, 2013

Tokyo University 東京大学


Today I spent the afternoon at Todai, or Tokyo University.  I met up with a scholar who is a friend of a friend, and she was so kind as to introduce me to a variety of resources on campus that relate to my research, which intersects with hers. The campus is quite lovely, especially on a beautiful early autumn day. Above is the famed Akamon, or Red Gate, which dates to 1827 when the land that the university sits on was part of the estate of a feudal lord.

The building that houses the Historiographical Institute, where I was able to view primary source documents related to my project.
 

Campus scenery.
 

Yasuda Auditorium, built in the 1920s with the intention of representing the of the university, and being grand enough to receive imperial visits.
 

Even the metro stop is green and academic in feel.


No comments: